Wednesday 12 February 2014

Rin✿ Mixed race tag

I saw a video on the internet
called the "Hapa Tag", and I though that it would
be really fun to do that! However, I've also learned that
the word "hapa" is very cultural appropriative, so I've renamed
it as the "mixed race tag"!

Anyway, I hope you find this interesting♪

Q) What races/nationalities are you?
Which do you identify more with?

A) I'm French from my mother, and then on my dad's
side I have a Spanish/Japanese mixture. My dad's mother is Japanese, but his dad was only half Japanese, and half Spanish, though I don't know much about French or Spanish culture. I'm also American in nationality. I personally just identify more so with "mixed" than just one race; but if I had to choose, I would be more comfortable identifying as Japanese. However "mixed" causes less conflict, so I usually go with that.

Q) What race do get told you look more like?

A) I definitely get told I'm more White, which can get irritating on many occasions. I think the only people who've been able to tell I'm mixed are people who've grown up around other mixed race people, honestly.

Q) Are you accepted?

A) Generally, yes. I do have some difficulties, but I have it more
on the easy side of life as far as being accepted. As long as I don't vocally mark myself as different, generally no one pays me a second glance.

Q) Do you speak more than one language?

A) I speak Japanese as well, though not on the level I'd like to,
Hana is 100x better at it than I am, haha. I didn't start learning it until I was a little bit older, because my aunt didn't speak English very well. I also only live in an area where there's only one other Japanese person, and I really have no business to be speaking with an old guy, so it's not very often I practise it, either, though I'm hoping I can improve a little with time.

Q) Do you have any traditions?

A) I don't really have any traditions, my mum/dad never really
got in to anything like that; Christmas trees, Thanksgiving, etc. were not really celebrated farther than having a turkey and giving presents. Decorations and get togethers never really happened much, since my mum's family aren't my biggest fans, and the only person that speaks to my dad any more is really my aunt, who lives in Urayasu. Once she started visiting more regularly, though, I got a bit more tradition/culture than I had before (I'm actually really close to my aunt now).

Q) How are you treated in your school/work setting?

A) Well, when I was in school I was bullied a lot,
sometimes because of being mixed, sometimes not. When I was in the US, I got a lot of the "White girl weeaboo who wants to be Asian" bullying, or the "ching chong" kind of things. For the most part it wasn't as bad as the other things. In Japan, sometimes I got remarks from people, but it stopped pretty quickly after the people there realised I understood what they were saying. I had maybe one or two girls who hated me because I was mixed, but I generally didn't have to deal with that because I wasn't their idea of an exotic mixed girl, so no one was really jealous enough to make comments like other girls in Japan who are mixed get.


That was all the questions I saw, but I hope it was still sort of interesting!
I'm hoping I can actually write about things people would be more interested to hear about next month when things calm down a bit. I'm also going to an Anime Convention next month, so I can't wait to write about that as well♪

xx Rin

No comments:

Post a Comment